View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 12:40 AM

Just walked the length of Berry for the first time...must say I was rather disappointed in the street-level experience. I thought maybe since there's not really anything on King along west of Fourth, Berry might be a bit more activated, but it's awful. All steel bars and garage doors...it's basically just an alley. I did like the courts under the freeway, even if they're fenced off...nice use of the space.

Yes, Arterra does seem to be taking a long time...doesn't look anywhere near finished.

They were just finishing up assembling the second tower crane for Avalon III when I was there.

Foundation work is underway on 330 and 335 Berry. 335 looks to be a bit further along. Lots of rebar in the ground and lots of PVC piping sticking up all over the place.

As for Mission Bay South:

I mentioned awhile ago that there was some grading work going on at the northeast corner of 16th and 3rd. It was some drainage work, and they've finished installing lights for a surface parking lot. Not quite ready to be paved over yet, but it's obviously parking. Was hoping for something more exciting there, but apparently not yet. It makes sense though...Old Navy is cramped on parking, and with 500 Terry Francois probably opening relatively shortly, there's going to be more demand. 409 Illinois should also be opening later this year...it has a lot of parking underneath it, but that may not be enough to completely meet demand.

You can see 409 Illinois in the background of some of Downtown Dave's Radiance pics. I'm not liking it too much right now. The stone façade is fine, and I don't mind the grey metal and window portions on the first floor (and up a bit higher on the eastern side). But the windows being inserted into the stone portion of the façade, while resembling the lower ones in most respects, have a yellowish cast to them instead of grey. It's kind of tough to see in his pics, but me no likey.

Saw some trees up on top of Radiance today. Downtown Dave's pics show preparation for some cladding on it, but much of the exterior is painted concrete divided by color into several different sections. That's coming along, so that project is definitely making good progress. It'll look a lot better once they remove the blue protective film from all of the windows.

UCSF's cancer building is still moving along...they've got a lot of the travertine installed along the south and west faces, and windows are going in on the south face.