View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 5:17 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Wow, that sounds fantastic! I lived in St Louis the past few years, and their Union Station (which is much larger) is a pretty big tourist draw. Though it does remind me a tad of the Arizona Center, lots of shops that sell like St Louis shot glasses and Missouri state flags, crap like that.

I think the ideal the thing would be for the station to have restaurants, bars, clubs and retail, make it an extension, or really the Western anchor of the entertainment district (with Chase Field being the Eastern anchor). I'd hope they don't go w/ a museum, I have a feeling most people don't want to go to a train museum (which is what I assume it would be). I'd rather have something there thats lively and exciting, if they do a museum, I hope its only a small portion.

It would also be good if there was Amtrak making stops there, but I suppose there isn't much of a demand for that. I think I recall hearing that Phoenix is the only large city in the country w/ out an Amtrak station. I certainly have a lot of friends at NAU who would probably use a Phoenix-Flagstaff train.

I haven't been down there in a while, but I think there is a big ugly tower of some kind right in front of the station that would need to be torn down. There's also a big ugly grey parking garage next to it if I recall, hopefully they'd be able to conceal it w/ landscaping, or make it look nicer in some way.