View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 7:29 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I don't think that anyone (well, other than zahav ) is advocating deliberately obstructing YXX's growth in order to have a higher growth rate for YVR. Some people here (i.e. RustyGull) appear to be skeptical about YXX's growth (although I would tend to disagree, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of the possibilities you outlined came to be within the next 10 years or so), but I don't think that serves to imply they deliberately want to force YXX to not grow.
Well, I think some would be in favor of policies of making sure Airport power is consolidated in YVR. Even though YVR is a whole lot more convenient for me, I see the value of Abbotsford gaining momentum.
Quote:
When you think about it, it's not terribly surprising YXX with have a higher growth rate that YVR. The number of passengers YXX is starting with is so low compared to YVR that it's almost impossible for it to not grow faster. Consider that it's supposed to grow to 4 times it's current size in 25 years.
True. Very true.
Quote:
As for the Mirabel comment, you're overanalyzing it. What was meant that I think YXX should grow as it needs to (i.e. market demands), but we shouldn't articifially force growth (as was done with Mirabel through their international landings policy) simply because we want to make Abby a transportation "hub", due to the high percentile growth of the three-cities-as-one that he mentioned.
That makes sense. Mirabel was definitely politics and policy gone bad. Totally agree that artificial growth and artificial hampering should both not be applied in this case. I may not benefit from YXX growth, but I see the sense in it.