View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 3:29 AM

...Northern Metro Continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Here's a list of recent projects and proposed ones for the city though:

http://www.utahurbanforum.com/ogden-...pments-f5.html

There's actually been a decent amount of development the last 5-10 years there, the main one being the Downtown Ogden mall redevelopment.

They currently have a couple of decent hotel proposals, and their biggest project is the current riverwalk / riverparkway area downtown:

Thus far they're working on demolishing old, ravaged houses in the area, and improving the actual river which has had many years of neglect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Ogden plans to torch dozens of houses

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...-burn.html.csp

Ogden • Nearly 40 abandoned homes in Ogden’s riverfront redevelopment area could deliberately go up in
flames by October in order to clear the land for construction — igniting protests by clean-air advocates who say
it could endanger the public health.

Ogden Mayor Matthew Godfrey and Fire Chief Mike Mathieu believe that burning the structures could save demolition
time and costs while providing valuable firefighter training and eliminating havens for crime...

(PAUL FRAUGHTON | The Salt Lake Tribune) Ogden City wants to burn down up to 40 houses,
including these on Kiesel Avenue near 18th Street to make way for a mixed use development near the Ogden River
Parkway which is seen at rear left. Clean-air advocates say the plan is a recipe for unhealthy pollution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Of course also, the complete remake of Ogden's Downtown LDS Temple and surrounding grounds is a big shot in
the arm.
The new Temple should create a huge boost for Ogden's other downtown projects. The synergy and
ancillary effects should be major. Along with the LDS Temple just announced in Brigham City, I really like the aspect
of these major religious facilities being placed at the heart of town vs. the suburbs. As with Europe, I think a
significant religious facility at the heart of the village/city can create a definite heightened amount of pedestrian
traffic and surrounding business. It occurred to me the other day as I was driving past the LDS Temple in American Fork
how I wished it had been placed on American Fork's Main Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Ogden Temple to be remodeled (nearly completely rebuilt):
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14419370?source=rss

Before:

After:

I like many of the improvements, such as moving the entrance to Washington Blvd. and putting the parking underground.
I'd almost have preferred that they just refurbish the building in its current form though. The quirkiness of the design
has grown on me over the years. On the other hand, I can see why they would make such drastic exterior changes.
The current design is almost uniformly disliked. Most young LDS couples won't get married there as they don't want
the Ogden temple in their wedding pictures.