View Single Post
Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:15 AM
TL;DR

^ I hear your concerns but I'm not sure a street grid is the end-all, be-all of urban planning. Not everyone or everything needs to fit into that paradigm.

It does seem like there will at least be some underground parking in the facility, as well as ample open space. The open space at the center of the ring actually may provide a semi-urban sense of enclosure not usually found in the suburbs. It's a very harmonious, bounded space. I don't know the latest plan for this space but it does look like Apple will energize this space with its dining facilities being semi-outdoors, an amphitheater and fruit orchards for year-round fresh produce.

As far as transportation goes, Apple does indeed run an extensive system of shuttle buses. Caltrain is on its way to electrification, which will increase speeds and allow for more express trains from the city. Sadly it stops nowhere near Cupertino, but better bus and light rail options are planned for South Bay as well.

Ultimately I believe the mountain will come to Mohammed here. The market dictates that local officials will have to allow for more dense walkable nodes to be built and the existing nodes to be densified. I'm all for revitalization of cities, but SF no longer needs revitalization like so many other core cities, and SF's suburbs are going to be dragged kicking and screaming into becoming more walkable and dense.

Last edited by ardecila; May 2, 2016 at 1:35 AM.