View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 6:36 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Hot n' Gritty

As I sit here in the air-conditioned comfort of my kitchen, listening to youtube music while I post these pictures, it's 93F outside. The heat index makes it feel like 96. This is why I joined fellow SSP forumer LSyd much earlier today, and he, myself, and my boyfriend ran around downtown Asheville taking pictures while the day was still merely uncomfortable and not yet unbearable.

I regret to inform you that there are no photographs of LSyd because he is a vampire and is therefore incapable of being captured by a camera. Likewise there are no photographs of my boyfriend because he has developed cat-like reflexes and can get his hand up to block the shot nine times out of ten.

Video Link

We had arranged to meet in Pack Square by the bronze pigs, and if you think about it, "Meet me at the pigs," is just not something you get to hear someone say very often.

The pigs are very popular for posing.

And once they're posed on the pigs, you take their pictures.

There is a certain irony to a person a jogging past a cupcake bakery.

Don't you wish you were the donut queen?

Someone had abandoned their egg drop soup, and for good reason. Egg drop soup is revolting.

Considering my and LSyd's predilection for grit, I figured it would be a good idea to visit downtown's largest respository of such: an alley called Carolina Lane with a smaller alley called Chicken Alley branching off it. The only better place to see graffiti in Asheville is the River District with its derelict factories and warehouses.

In case there was some dispute about the matter:

Tourists in their natural habitat.

Even in the heart of downtown, you're not far from the natural charms of the city.

Goodbye and thank you for visiting. Please exit to your left.

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947