View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
There is no need to demolish the south terminal. There is PLENTY of land available for another terminal in that area. Also, the south terminal not only has a 30+ year lease but it's also been an early success. Allegiant has expanded routes and there is growth potential with Via Air and Sun County.

The examples you are referring were non-preferred options by the previous plan. Although it's possible it changes, I think it's likely that the preferred 2nd autonomous terminal expansion plan stays as the preference as oppose to the kind of annex type expansion in the figures you are posting but I could be wrong.

I think the number of gates on a new terminal would increase and the footprint would shift to accommodate the south terminal but it would be the same basic concept of 2nd independent terminal:

This way there is still car access to the 2nd terminal so you aren't dumping it all on the main terminal. People would enter through 183 or underground tunnels that you can access from the main Airport Entrance.

Poster Austin1971 has suggested that there could be an interim expansion option where piers are added to the existing terminal (as seen in a few of the old expansion proposals) as well as a massive building expansion of the main terminal northward over the existing short term garage. This would mean completely re-buiding the upper/lower decks of Pres Blvd to access the main terminal. The new access levels would be right next to the 2 new garages and what would be the expanded terminal.

My guess is that the order that they are built depends on outside partners like Delta. If Delta says they are willing to pay for a part of a new terminal then I think they do that first. A fresh build will be much much easier than a Northern terminal expansion. That's going to be a nightmare and it would be much easier for people to deal with if there was a 2nd operating terminal.
Thank you for your insight, freerover! I could see both of the expansion plans that we brought up working and I am anxious to see what the new master plan details. Regarding the South Terminal, I wonder if there is a plan in the books to expand it somehow if Allegiant and ViaAir keep on expanding. Hopefully it won't become overcrowded like one could say Barbara Jordan is now.

Going back to Barbara Jordan, at least right now, adding on to the existing terminal would only create more congestion unless something drastic were to be done to the entry exit platform. Widening the walkways inside the terminal to fit how wide the new 9 gate extension is supposed to be could work. Some work is being done on the terminal entrances and apparently alongside the new parking garage, there will be improved vehicle access to the airport. "The project, funded at $250 million, includes improvements in addition to the garage. The overall project includes:
  • The new, 6,000 space parking garage
  • New entry plazas to the parking lots, garages and to the Rental Car Facility
  • Enlarging and upgrading the north exit plaza to meet the demands of the expanded parking operations.
  • Upgrades to signs along Presidential Blvd.
  • Aviation administrative building"
This could be the start of what you are detailing, whatever happens, I hope it gets the congestion under control!