View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There's clearly more to it than that though. There's a big difference between Bellingham and Nanaimo as well.

More US-type food which is mostly Southern in origin, more Mexican food, and somehow even less appealing fast food. I get the impression that at home Americans tend to consume more processed food as a whole. This isn't true everywhere but the exceptions are rarer and more upmarket south of the border. I suspect you'd get different answers in "have you ever consumed cheese or a whole chicken that came out of can?" type polls.
Is fresh seafood more popular in BC than in Washington State?

Also, it's interesting that in the US, Southern and Tex-Mex influences spread pretty far from their source region -- eg. in small towns in say the PNW or New England you can still have Tex-Mex, southern food like BBQ, grits etc. Canada does have things spreading far from their source region -- you'll find poutine, Quebecois in origin, in BC or Nanaimo bars in Ontario etc. but I don't think we have as much large elements of regional cuisine spreading cross-country like the American equivalents.

Is the Asian food influence much stronger in Canada as well? I've noticed big city Canadians from at least places like Toronto and Vancouver more familiar with things like dim sum than Americans from similarly big cities etc. Sushi is probably popular anywhere in Canada or the US these days, even in the smallest towns.

Maybe also things like pierogies reflect (western) Canadian demographics (eg. Ukrainian and other Eastern European) but again they haven't really spread cross-country the way say Tex-Mex style tacos have.