View Single Post
Old Posted May 16, 2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
I haven't been to Lewiston in 35 or more years but I can assure you this is not Lewiston Idaho.
Maybe that's Lewiston, Maine? There's a Lewiston, NY but it's a little town of only about 2,000.

Lewiston is a neat town, at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers, home of Lewis and Clark State College, the only port in Idaho made possible by the Columbia and Snake rivers system, home also to paper mills. Principal city of the Lewiston-Clarkston Metro, Population 58,000. What Wikipedia won't tell you is that it's plagued with an odor worse than Nampa's and Pocatello's. If the wind is blowing that stench into town then that's all the encouragement I need to keep plugging along. I've never stopped for more than a bathroom break because of that smell!

I've always thought it would be cool to live in a border town. The kid in me still gets excited seeing a "Welcome to ___" sign at a state border. I'm sure the novelty would wear off eventually. For one reason or another, Lewiston has been rather stagnant, adding only about 1,000 residents between 2000 and 2010.

Lewiston also recently made national news when one of her fine citizens (could have been a Clarkstonian) was bit by a rattlesnake after mistaking it for a stick: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-wash-wal-mart. The bite happened in Clarkston but the article is unclear as to the residency of the victim.