View Single Post
Old Posted May 18, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Think of how bad it would have been without the new pedestrian safety features.
I posted the above article because San Francisco, where I live, has the same issues caused by the same factors. There has been an increase in population of the city over the last couple of decades of maybe 15% but the traffic is many times more than 15% more horrible. I firmly believe it is due to the factors cited by a reponse to this article:

Quote:
More than 10 years of experience has proved that bike lanes, pedestrian malls and unrealistic speed limits worsen rather than improve our quality of life. The increase in air pollution caused by stopped and slowed vehicles only adds to the problem. Likewise, the undue tolerance of double and triple parking by trucks, notably on one-way avenues, makes matters worse.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/bikes-p...ple-1495033701

These so-called "improvements" also severely frustrate drivers, many of whom are, I will point out, needed to get the aged and disabled and other categories of people who can't manage the disabled-unfriendly NY subway entrances and can't ride bikes as a primary mode of transportation around the city. At 72, I am not going to be riding a bike and my ability to climb on and off transit with packages and bags of groceries (or into and out of subway station where the escalators--most SF stations at least have those which isn't true in NY--are broken) is diminishing.

Frustrated drivers break more laws more frequently. I've watched it happen and felt it myself. The street I live on, which has what was designed as 3 lanes of one-way traffic, is commonly an obstacle course of double parked delivery trucks, cyclists (sometimes going the wrong way or crossing on cross streets against a red light) and befuddled tourists or not-very-English-speaking immigrant drivers trying to figure out where they are. Anyone driving a motorized vehicle--me, Uber, transit bus drivers--has to dodge them all and sometimes literally "cuts corners".

Last edited by Pedestrian; May 19, 2017 at 2:15 AM.