View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 3:52 AM
Cambridgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Well Yellowknife does have a population under 20 000, and Kitchener is nearly double Peterborough. For a 500 000 CMA is is pretty lame. They must have one of the, if not the lowest tower per capita ratio of any greater area over 100 000 in Canada.
Keep in mind that, within the urbanized core, there are 5 downtown cores. I showed the 3 largest (the two others are in Cambridge). Rather than one core expanding out and consuming all the others, they more or less grew together. And even besides that, the tri-city area is very decentralized and expansive. Even if you forget about the downtown cores, there are numerous nodes of activity from regional shopping centres, power centres, intense retail strips, office parks, university districts, major apartment clusters. It's a pretty large place that the downtown photos alone don't do any justice to. Ironically, it feels like a much larger metropolitan area when you're driving around in the suburbs and could easily pass for the hustle and bustle of any suburban area around a large city like Toronto. I would say pretty much the only small town features about the area are the lack of an old, developed, solid downtown core.

Other non-downtown skylines.

Fairview Park Mall area off in the distance, looking from the eastside of downtown.

King/University - King/Columbia skyline. A cluster of apartment buildings to the north of uptown Waterloo and Wilfred Laurier University.

Victoria Hills skyline (the hood) in West Kitchener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And don't take this as a negative spin on the whole area, just in the aspect of urban density.
Don't worry, I'm not one of the other Waterloo Region forumers who will remain nameless.