View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2013, 10:35 AM
BANNED

Any attempt to preserve and expand French in Atlantic Canada (yes, Newfoundland and Labrador: I'm taking note of your francophone population as well) would require multiple approaches, even though I've found people focus on French schools from the get-go. French schools are only good for protecting the language for francophones. I want to expand the language in anglophone populations.

The most immediate, most effective (I believe) approach would be to simply expand French classes as mandatory for high school graduation. Students dropping out of the subject upon grade 9 is a wasted investment.

Anglophones are required to obtain grade 12 English. The same should be required for French. Is grade 4 waiting too long to begin French instruction?

Outside of the scholastic environment, museums and festivals are an opportunity to include French. Business owners and operaters may be encouraged to carry bilingual signs. Public spaces may also comply with this. The more French Haligonians see, the more inclusive it will eventually become.

Given how academically inclined people in Halifax tend to be, I suspect they would welcome this, as it's enabling the city to express itself as a multi-lingual, regional capital embracing both of the country's official languages.