Thread: Blame Surrey?
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 20, 2011, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
"The vast majority of people were not from Vancouver. They were from the suburbs, they were from the Interior,"

As one would expect the crowds downtown to watch Game 7 on Wednesday were almost certainly dominated by people from the suburbs and out of town. So the douche-bags who took part in the riot were certainly in proportion to the demographics of the crowd.

Since a majority (approximately 3/4) of Metro Vancouver residents live in suburbs like Burnaby, the North Shore and Surrey, and people across BC follow the Canucks so I would imagine Game 7 of the Stanley Cup brought many people from the Islands and Interior to Vancouver.
It does not seem the rioters were in proportion to the demographics of the region. The Chinese population in Richmond is at a higher ration that the rest of the area; I bet the proportion of Persians in North Van is higher; I am also willing to bet the proportion of gay men in the West End is also higher. Why cant the proportion of rioters also be higher from the burbs?

I have been following all of these 'outing the rioters blogs' out there with a lot of interest and so far I can assure you that almost all that I have seen that have been named have come from the suburbs. The only one that lists Vancouver as an address is a UBC student from the burbs. I am sure there will be more but is does not seem to be proportional.