View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
not ludicrous at all.

it's less than the cost of a happy meal.

it should probably be $5.
So you wouldn't mind paying $5 to park at Piedmont Park either?

Last time I was up in the Smoky mountains I didn't have to pay to park. Also down in Florida I never have to pay to park on a state parking lot for the beach.

Someone mentioned lack of budget funding.... I understand this since the state park owns the green space(I guess?).. but my problem is just that: the state owns it. If this were a real community-oriented city (instead of a cluster of counties and towns), these trails would be owned by the city Just like Piedmont park is, and that tiny amount of money needed to fund this park would be easily taken care of with what's already in the budget which is from taxes.

My purpose here was not to bash Atlanta, I love Atlanta. However, I have every right as a concerned citizen to point out things which I feel are ludicrous, especially things related to walkability (trails, parks, and sidewalks) which I feel strongly are being neglected everywhere in the metro area because of failed budget planning and a careless lazy attitude. And I'm not really talking about on the local level. In my personal opinion the state's presence in metro Atlanta has ripped this place into shreds. It all started with the building of the downtown connector which ripped apart the city.

P.S. I'm also against paying for parking in AS - The only mall in the SE where you have to pay for parking.
http://www.civiltips.com

Last edited by civilexpert; Jun 5, 2008 at 5:49 PM. Reason: removed remarks which may possibly start a fight