View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The businesses have legitimate concerns over how the bus-only lanes will impact their business. The city should be using concrete evidence to show how it will not have a negative impact. Using an apples/oranges comparison between downtown Hamilton and Ottawa's Byward Market isn't very helpful in that regard.
The example doesn't have to be the Byward Market, it could be any commercial district in any city. I can't think of any city where it's as easy to drive in and park as Hamilton. In most cities it's very difficult to drive and park. If parking and free flowing traffic were the critical factors for business success, downtown Hamilton would be thriving. The point being that devoting one lane to buses for a few hours a day is not going to make or break businesses in downtown Hamilton.

I think the onus is on them to explain exactly how this is going to negatively impact their businesses. Seems to me they cry about every little change that's proposed, which is odd because the status quo is not something many would consider success.