View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 7, 2006, 11:30 PM

^ Well ok....

My WTC 3D model was perhaps the first detailed realtime 3D model of the WTC on the internet when it was released in 2002. My original model is polygonally less detailed, but it was made 4 years ago and with an emphasis of being shown in realtime 3D: as if you were actually walking around it. For that, you have to skillfully balance detail and speed, hence, minimizing polygon detail without a perceptible loss in detail, a technique that game 3D artists use by optimizing polygon count, skillfully using textures, and using things like LOD controlled detail reduction.

In 2003, I added the buildings around it to give more of a realistic look as if you were at the actual site, but I stopped work on it later because of a combination of a lack of being able to get additional accurate detail about the site, and the complexity of the model was overloading my computer (making my computer slow a lot, and the model being so complex to the point that realtime 3D was not feasible anymore at the time). You could have viewed it in realtime 3D using the Cortona VRML viewer, but the viewer sucked and there was no other available 3D realtime formats that were faster, that didn't cost money, and that allowed you to walk through the place. It was shown at www.wtc3D.com for a long time till I abandoned the project and the website was discontinued.

Here's an overhead render of my model:

And an overhead plaza view:

Last edited by DaveofCali; Sep 7, 2006 at 11:47 PM.