View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I have never understood this co-location strategy, even from a marketing standpoint. I don't go to KFC to get Taco Bell food, and I don't go to Taco Bell to get KFC. And they don't even have a combined kitchen, they have two entirely separate kitchens each with their own staff. There's another one of these on Hyde Park Road.
- same owner of both franchises (YUM! brands), thus one property purchase, one building to erect, service, and license
-a single building design that can be replicated endlessly across North America, locally by a single contractor, with big savings in economies of scale
-one set of property taxes to pay
-one property maintenance cost
- because of their cheap cookie-cutter nature, it's easy and cheap to demolish the building and sell off the property when it's time to move on

These facilities are the ultimate in fast-food society: Small disposable facilities that house a small staff that take pre-made frozen food, cook it, and sell most of it to people out of a window to cars passing in a drive-thru.

Sort of like a dumpster in reverse: people drive up to a small box and pick up garbage to take home.