View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 10:25 AM

I know it's wikipedia, but my wise Ottawa-based aunt recently told me:"I love the idea of a beautiful museum in Wnnipeg, but the Museum of Civilisation took 10 years to build here too!" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...f_Civilization

"In response to criticisms that "Museum of Man" could be interpreted as gender-biased in light of modern sensibilities, a competition was launched in 1986 to find a new name. The National Museum of Man became the Canadian Museum of Civilization. In 1989, the museum moved in to the new facility. At the time of its opening, the cost of the museum had ballooned from an initial estimate of approximately $80 million to approximately $340 million. Despite initial criticisms of the perceived Disneyfication of the museum, its enormous costs, unique architecture, and unfinished exhibits from many quarters (including the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney), the museum soon became a major tourist attraction and was embraced by different political factions as a national symbol of "a pluralistic, multicultural society."[17] The museum attracts over 1.3 million visitors per year, making it Canada's most-visited museum."