View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I have a few questions as a non-resident:

1. Will the Navy air base on Coronado always be off the table? What about some sort of shared use? (I realize this is a massive and important base, just asking.)

2. What about landfill at the existing airport? In theory this could extend the existing runway west. Maybe a second shorter runway for small planes could be added to the south at the marina location, easing pressure on the main runway (guessing no potential for a major runway here due to added Downtown interference; and even the small one would have massive ecological impacts).

3. Is the 500' limit tiered or gradual, or just a flat limit? It should be very different at one end of Downtown vs. the other. Often these things work in geometric planes...a certain angle from the main flightpath.

That's a hell of a video BTW chris.
I'm sure others can and will chime in with specifics, but I'll answer very generally and say that this problem is more political than logistical. There's lots of options out there but SD is not a place that thinks outside of the box. There is also a hypersensitive military contingent that gets angry anytime anyone ever suggests THEY should have to relocate because of the changing needs of the city. They even get angry with joint use suggestions. As far as the height limit, it's staggered in the sense that areas right near the airport have lower height limits, but as far as the 500' downtown limit, it's my understanding that's blanket for all of downtown which doesn't make any sense considering the expansion out to East village of the high rises.