View Single Post
Old Posted May 8, 2012, 11:56 PM

^^^
Also, it just occured to me that the whole surface is sunken right now, so if they build the whole thing on a platform to bring the building, streets and plazas up to Orleans level, they may be able to get a level or two of parking obscured below the whole complex to take away a good 150+ spaces from the inevitable podium.

And I can't imagine why the apparel mart would put any money into addressing the Kinzie entrance - there is nothing there but a storage place and it is cut off by a viaduct on one side and a bridge on the other. Moreover, I don't really see how this project could serve as an impetus for that. Plus, I imagine that that area is a loading dock / warehouse-type area given the fact that there is a loading dock and it is in the basement. Does anyone know what is down there? If its just mechanical I really can't imagine that will ever get better. Plus, if something were to be changed about the building, I'd choose the color of that cement (which hundreds of thousands if not millions of people see per year) over the Kinzie entrance (which a few locals deal with).
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton