View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:44 PM
New Yorker for life

I was in Modell's yesterday, and was tempted to grab a couple of new Nets items, you know, because they're new, (and I'm from Brooklyn). But better to let the season end first.

http://thebrooklynink.com/2012/05/04...s-off-shelves/

Brooklyn Nets Gear Flies Off Shelves

Fri, May 4, 2012
By Cristabelle Tumola

Quote:
After the Brooklyn Nets’ logo was officially revealed on April 30, the team’s merchandise went on sale. Everything from t-shirts and jerseys, to hats, basketballs and water bottles are now available on Brooklynnets.com, and the websites and stores of two sports retailers—the NBA Store and Modell’s Sporting Goods. Though it has only been a few days, basketball and Brooklyn enthusiasts are quickly buying up the team’s items.

Monday, the first day the items went on sale, was the second largest web traffic day at NBAStore.com since the start of the basketball season on Dec. 25, according to a Brooklyn Nets release. The team’s merchandise accounted for 27 percent of total sales for the day on NBAStore.com and at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue combined.

That same day, Modell’s sold more Brooklyn Nets merchandise in a single day than they’d sold New Jersey Nets items during the last year, said Jason Karorwski, Modell’s manager of sports marketing and PR. Brooklyn Net merchandise is available at about 100 Modell’s stores in the New Jersey and New York metropolitan area, including the chain’s 10 Brooklyn locations. The team’s merchandise features various designs—all in its black and white colors—some with the logo, some with just the words “Brooklyn.” Many of the items promote borough pride more than sports fanaticism.

Brooklyn resident, Jason Andrews of Crown Heights, quickly filled his arms with items—four t-shirts and a hat. He was buying for himself, his brother and 7-year-old son. “I got to support my borough. I love Brooklyn,” he said. The store’s apparel manager, Denise Neckles, said all of the merchandise was selling well, and she had to restock it often.

Even though the NBA store on Fifth Avenue, between 47th and 48th streets, is about a 30-minute subway ride from the Barclays Center, people there were buying the Brooklyn Nets merchandise on Thursday. T-shirts and hats seemed to be the best sellers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.