View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster View Post
... but here gold is associated with excessive wealth and it is gold which is considered to be cheap and gaudy.

Using real gold in cladding will be considered a cheap way to show off.
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word cheap. You are mistakenly using it as a synonym for cheesy, gauche, gaudy, tacky, tasteless and garish. In your first example you are contradicting yourself by saying excessive wealth is cheap, when perhaps you mean it is tacky. And in your second you did it again by saying real gold would be cheap when I`m sure you mean gauche. Cheap is a description of how inexpensive an object is, or it can also mean a lower quality of materials, neither of which gold (at US $1200 an ounce) is.

Gold is a highly valued metal but anything taken to excess can be gaudy. There is no need in trying to insult me by subtly implying that where I live we have a distorted and inferior viewpoint of quality of materials. Gold is valued the world over and is also considered tacky the world over when it is used to cover a bathtub or doorknob. Those values are universal and are considered nouveau-riche and gauche no matter where you live.

Apparently, I am inferring from what you are saying, is that in Russia the nouveau-riche class of entrepreneurs have ruined the beauty and desirability of real gold.