View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
In this age?! They’ve been around the Pyramid, Federal Reserve Bank, and other buildings in the City, across the nation, and around the world since at least 9/11, with some since the 4/95 Murrah Federal Building bombing. 22 years now...hello...!!
In my life, "since 9/11" is "this age". I suppose for a Millennial it may be different. But I recall the age before metal detectors, bomb barriers and when just about all federal buildings including the Capitol were open to the public without search or any form of inhibition.

The Oklahoma City bombing was a major shock to most people in the US. It wasn't something either the establishment or the rest of us would have expected. Things may have started to change then, but it was gradual.

And you still don't find bollards on most sidewalks in San Francisco in front of commercial buildings--government, yes, but not commercial. I assume in this case it's recognition that this building is so prominent on the skyline and the city's tallest by far--that, along with that big glass lobby that makes it look like it's waiting for a truck to drive right into it, makes it a tempting target. I just wish the SFPD would wake up and start behaving more like the NYPD and taking the potential for terrorism seriously which I see little evidence they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
It can prevent any sort of errant or drunken behavior, not necessarily terrorism. Moving vehicles are always dangerous to people and barriers should exist all over the city to protect pedestrians, bikes, and public squares.
Perhaps. But they aren't though they ARE here. Which makes this something different, hence why I commented.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Dec 10, 2017 at 11:19 PM.