View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:07 PM
low life in a tall place

MALMÖ

Sweden's third largest municipal is also the most dense city in Sweden. Almost half of the urban area's population lives in the city core/centre, and the rest lives in large scale housing projects built in the 60-70s or detached houses. About half of the city's housing was built during Sweden's "glory days" between 1955-75, during the so called "Million Programme".

The inner city has a density of 10.495 p/km2 (~27.200 p/sqm) while the urban area as a whole has 3.596 p/km2 (9.313 p/sqm).

It forms with Copenhagen the population epicentre of the otherwise sparsely populated Scandinavia.

Wikipedia

Malmö (background) is a 15 minute car trip from Copenhagen.

j.meunier @ flickr

The two cities forms one of the largest metropolitan areas in Northern Europe (S:t Petersburg and Hamburg are larger) - by far the largest in the Nordics.

J. Kern @ Flickr

The Old Town is known for its monumental squares (Grand Sq. in the center of the photo) and busy pedestrianized streets.

Eniro.se

Jorgens

Citytunneln.se

Nicknamed "the City of Parks";

Eniro.se

Downtown East Side:

Taken by me

The city is determined to keep its compact size, and has put heavy restrictions on further expansion of the urban area while the city is projected to grow by 45% the next 20 years. Old industrial areas (North Sorgenfri in the foreground) will be redeveloped into dense inner city:

Malmö Stad

While having a large historical core, the city has lately become known for its modern waterfront...

FlygFotot

Jorgens

Jorgens

My pic

Eniro.se

...and of course the Turning Torso - the main landmark of Malmö.

Thanks to sapmi

U/C in 2004/2005

Skypix.dk

View from a Turning Torso apartment.

jorgens

The peninsula where Turning Torso is located is under heavy development. Today it looks like this:

SBK, Malmö

Tomorrow it will look like this:

David Wiberg

The modern waterfront areas were all home to industries in the past. Malmö was the earliest industrialized city in the Nordics.

Parts of the harbour areas are still in use, here for imported Toyotas;

My pic

Thanks to supers

Large parts of the city center are a big construction site:

My pic

Outskirts

Citytunneln.se

Citytunneln.se

Due to the geography (Scania is completely flat), the city proper is compact and doesn't sprawl like Stockholm. The suburbs and satellites are separated from the city by farmland.

Skanör-Falsterbro - with some of the best beaches in Europe.

sapmi

FlygFoton

Helsingborg, north of Malmö, is the largest of the nearby cities;

South Central Malmö

My photo

Rörsjöstaden

Eniro.se

Bo01 area

eniro.se