View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2005, 12:11 AM

Give Montgomery a Nice Arena

One thing I personally believe is missing from our Civic Center ( Embarrassment to this city ) turn Convention Center, among all the new things coming to our downtown, a Arena. Our Coliseum ( Garrett built in 1954 holds between 8000 and 14,000 depending on how you structure the seating ) is too old ( falling apart ) and not large enough for venues of this day. Most cities our size have an arena in their Convention complex , Columbus Ga, Tallahassee Fl, Huntsville, Mobile just to name a few. It would be nice for our city to have one ( arena ) that could seat between 15,000 and 20,000. I have never understood why the city leaders in the early 1970's settled with what we built, and look how many conventions we lost because we could not seat more than 4,000. One place that this arena would fit perfect in is the block behind the present configuration. Montgomery is usually" a day late and a dollar short"on most progress and I know this will never happen in my life time, but 10 years ago who would have ever thought we would have a new baseball stadium ?