View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 7:24 PM
That Golfer Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
That's true but unfortunately you missed my point entirely. Nashville and most southeast metros, of course, have a fraction of historic building stock compared to rustbelt cities that were far larger more than fifty years ago and have been relatively large for well over a century. This should go without saying. However, this does not mean all other "younger" American cities are devoid of history as some fain to pretend. This is why I photographed Germantown to show that Nashville does indeed have a history to its' built environment just like every other American city. This includes Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte and any other city that's consistently badgered for being "too new."

I must note that there's a certain arrogance that pervades some posters on boards such as these. We all appreciate cities and nice built environments but some act as if a city should be ignored if it cannot mimic a NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco when absolutely nothing in its' history suggests that it should mirror those. Ironically, these "newer" cities seem to be where most Americans are flocking en masse for various reasons.

What gives? Why can't one say that they prefer the older and denser cores of the Northeast or rustbelt instead of being disingenuous by claiming other cities lack history?
I think what people seem to forget is that a lot of the larger southern municipalities were ransacked and in some cases litterly destroyed during the Civil War. Some cities that suffered that fate are the larger so called "New South" cities like Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta, and Richmond come to mind. When the Union armies came through a lot of the infastructure of those cities suffered extensive damage, having to be rebuilt from the ground up. So yes compared to a New York, Boston or even Washington D.C. there's not as many historical structures standing.