View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The first guy has a distinctive accent for sure but also sounds like he's had more exposure (and maybe education in) to French in places outside Newfoundland. Of all the French accents posted so far, his accent is the most distant from the way most native North American francophones speak (since there are things linguistic that arecommon to Québécois, Acadians, Franco-New Englanders and even Cajuns, but that's another story).

As for the two other ladies they really sound like Newfoundlanders speaking in French. There a little general anglo side to it (that all anglos of the world seem to have in French) and there is also an Irish-esque lilt to it. A bit of Acadian thrown into the mix as well.
Yeah, I actually think I have better pronunciation than that woman at 15 minutes in.

It's too bad we didn't preserve and promote Newfoundland French. I prefer the way that guy sounds, for example, than the hostess.

Here are few gorgeous (no seriously... French fisherman... row on over) examples from St-Pierre-et-Miquelon, which is close to how Newfoundland French was:

Video Link