View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 9, 2014, 8:30 PM
Honored Member

I'm very surprised that people in this thread think it's a good idea to take highrise urban density west of Mopac. I think it's a terrible location for the development as originally proposed. It just makes no sense, it's not an urban area at all. Even the amended proposal sounds potentially too intensive to me.

I'm not being a NIMBY, I don't live near there. I'd be happy to see more urbanization where I live, along the 183 corridor between Lamar and Burnet. 183 is much more of an urban freeway along much of its Austin traverse, but Mopac is a commuter freeway that bisects residential areas. Urban centers should exist in areas where urban activity is focused, not dotting residential areas.

Also, I think the aesthetics for the city as a whole would be tweaked in a negative way if highrises started creeping up the northwest hills. It's just awkward. Keep the urban centers in the flatlands. It's too bad Cedar Park doesn't embrace this type of development, or that developers don't choose to create something resembling a city amidst that soulless diffuse expanse of auto-necessitating generic subtopia.