View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 6:30 PM
Honored Member

With the fresh perspective of a new day, I read the responses and now I'm feeling like, "OK, not such a bad idea." I still think going too tall (say, more than 8-10 floors?) would look odd in that context. I need to go poke around there and visualize it. Also, I'm just spouting off on aesthetics and am fully aware that it's purely subjective. I wish the city would ban, or at least put a moratorium on, "wall buildings" such as the Marriott, Fairmont, 5th and Brazos, and others. I'd take a quintet of Austonians at Mopac and Spicewood if it would prevent any more of those massive view-obscuring vertical card decks from being built in the CBD. We need more classic skyscrapers, which I guess are what you call point towers. If Frost Bank qualifies as a point tower then that's what I mean, but taller. Again, just spewing my preferences all up in this place. And yes, the Marriott looks great in spite of being a wall, but I still wish we could avoid that effect of obliterating all variety of features over the expanse of entire blocks. Walking by the Marriott on the blank side is creepy, almost dehumanizing.