View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nice try to make it generational.

Rousseau is about the same age as me (mid to late 40s?) and I have no idea of elly's age. GlassCity is quite young - probably in his early 20s.

And we all have varied opinions on both sides of the debate.

Don't forget that my generation was the first one to truly embrace MLB as a "domestic" thing with the Expos and the Blue Jays. We also (well, not me personally but my generation certainly did) almost relegated the CFL to the graveyard when we became totally enamoured with the NFL. Again... this was also a generational first in Canada.

And BTW I love soccer... just in case you were wondering. Basketball, not so much.
We are likely at an age gap where when you were just ending high school I was just a small kid and just getting into sports. I can't dismiss that exposures and experiences as a child shaped my sports tastes.

This isn't to slam older folks, I just get annoyed when older folks dismiss half of the population who is younger like they don't exist. The demographics and trends go contrary and to the exact opposite of how many in this thread view the sports landscape. We keep bringing dated TV numbers as that is the 'old way' of measuring things but metrics such as social media and other points are key and critical to measure how popular a sport is. We keep using dated 'TV number' metrics when most young people don't even have a cord connected to their TV and don't get cable.

NFL is most watched sport in North America but it may not even exist in 25 years the way trends are going. This is probably the starkest example of the reality of trend shifts versus old dated metrics solely using TV numbers. You look are purely TV, NFL is king, but look at youth participation and engagement and it is cratering big time and the NFL is sweating about it internally (NFL is also the most limited in upside, where will it expand to? London, UK? It's TV numbers have peaked, it can't get any bigger than it already is. Future legalized sports betting may be the only other revenue surge/boost it can explore domestically in the USA. Every other league - CFL included - has some room to grow; NFL not so much).

Also, back to the age thing... it goes both ways... IMO young people are too dismissive of older people's work experiences, the Startup and Tech community is notorious for having a bias and hatefest on for older folks for example. End of the day both groups can learn from each other and should be able to look at their experiences with respect and learn from each other.