View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Are you seriously suggesting sidewalks be used as bike lanes?? That's the only conclusion I can make due to the eye rolling emoticon. If that is indeed the case you're trying to make, then I'm stunned that anyone would think that's a solution.
I am, actually, yes. It's not like we're putting these stupid "protected" bike lanes in pedestrian heavy areas anyway. The 18th street bridge over the river. Kinzie over by the Merchandise Mart.

These are ludicrous wastes of money when there are barely-used sidewalks already there.

And yes, I ride my bike on the sidewalk all the time, and I always have. If I'm coming up on a group of people, I jump down into the street if it's a safe enough spot to do so, or, heaven forbid, I slow down. I'd rather have some pedestrians pissed at me for 5 seconds than risk getting obliterated by a car or a truck or a bus.

EDIT:

I should clarify. NO, I do not suggest designating the sidewalks as bike lanes. I suggest that sidewalks be used by people on bikes, like they always have been meant to be anywhere else I've ever lived in my life, and in areas of the city that are ACTUALLY pedestrian heavy enough to require an actual, segregated, protected bike lane, that they be put in in those locations. We shouldn't be putting the stupid little sticks up all over the City to accommodate bikers that are either too stupid or too arrogant to ride their bikes safely, while simultaneously being too whiny to be ignored about how stupid they are.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Last edited by aic4ever; Mar 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: clarification