View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2012, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
-Bank-Rideau-Montreal subway (10 km)

I estimate it would cost around (if it's 500 million for 2.5 km downtown) 2 billion $. That doesen't soud right, but I'm sure it wouldn't be more than 3.5 billion$ which I think is pretty good to serve a huge chunk of the the central part of the city.

Route description/stations
-1station; Lansdowne... need I say more
-skip the rest of the Glebe for obvious reasons
-2station; Catherine where the new official plan calls for 20+ storey towers
-3station; Somerset, serving mid-rise Centertown
-4station; somewhere between Laurier and Queen with connection to the 2 (maybe 3) "existing" CBD LRT stations
-5station; Rideau; arts, fashion and entertainment district + predominant transfer station
-6station; King Edward, ripe for redevelopment, I would like to see something similar to Montreal's Victoria Square on KE (possibly one day build underground KE expressway?)
-7station; Charlotte, will see a building boom once sewers/water lines upgraded
-8station; Eastwiew Shopping Centre (between Montgomery and Vanier Prkw), potential for 30+ storey towers without blocking any views.
-9station; Altha, location of Wabano centre, aprt building and potential for other development
-10station; St-Laurent, already a few tall condo towers, huge potential for redevelopment
-11station; Aviation-DenHegg, major hospital, potential development, interprovincial transfer if Kettle Island Bridge ever gets built
-12station; CFB Rockliff redevelopment

How about it?
I think to make this sound you need a couple additions:
-It should start at Billings Bridge to connect to the SE Transitway/potential LRT/potential regional rail/potential additional VIA rail station (there's really a lot of transportation possibilities here)
-Sunnyside station
-Terrible as it may be to get it done, no stations between Lansdowne and Catherine seems to far to me, I'd try for one at 2nd avenue
-Add a station at Gladstone
-Add a station at Chapel, for the same reason as Charlotte, expect a development boom there, didn't Claridge just pay $15M for some land there?
-Move Altha to Marier, which is the only N-S street that connects Beechwood to Montreal, which will be the most important street in the revival of Vanier, IMHO
-CFB Rockcliffe, locate the station to serve NRC as well
-Turn south to serve CES and CSIS at a station along Bathgate
-Connect finally to Blair station

These additions won't be cheap, but I think it makes the line a more strategic investment in regional transit, rather than just serving urban areas and thus more easily embraced by Council, the province and the feds