View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 5:29 AM
Fourth and Main

There are so many new proposals and completions, I'm starting to fall behind. I want to post them separately, a day apart. That would prevent them from becoming lost in a sea of weekly updates and other proposals/completions. It also helps to reduce the number of photographs-per-page on a thread with few replies. The city's boom is reaching the point where I can't keep up. I'll try to post another tomorrow.

Vade Mecum Springs:
The last standing Victorian mountain spring resort in the Winston-Salem metro will receive $2.1 million in bond money from the state. It's among the last of its kind in North Carolina and the state is looking for ideas on how to adaptively-reuse or restore the property. Friends of the Sauratown Mountains offered tours, last weekend, and sought ideas from the estimated 300 visitors taking the tour. They would like to reopen the hotel and cabins and open a restaurant in the hotel. They may reopen it as a wedding and event center, to raise additional restoration money. Yes, it's close to moving forward and ready to appear on our proposed & construction list! Did you know it was once a circus animal breeding ground? The circus owner removed the animals after he was bitten by a lion. It also sold bottled water from the healing springs, when it opened in the 1800s. People thought it could cure anything. N.C. State University owned it at one time. It has a very interesting history. OBS Landscape is among the firms working on the project and they will present a master plan in September.

It appears to be in great shape. It's very intact and should be an easy restoration for the State. It could become another tourist attract for the Winston-Salem area? This is located in Hanging Rock State Park, which is shown in the "Random Photographs" section of the post above.

Credit: aphotobyashley

You could actually play indoor basketball in this room, at one time:

Credit: edrabin

So, this is what it was like to stay in a resort hotel in the 1800s?

Credit: N.C. Parks