View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 10:08 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I can not believe this. Vivaaerobus has chosen Austin because the city of Austin worked harder to get their business????

Houston'a population is exploding and now close to 4MM and Austin is what? Not even 1MM maybe.

Continental is charging us at least 400-500 dollars roundtrip to anywhere in Mexico from Houston. I am tired of being ripped off and now all that time waiting for Vivaaerobus to make wise decision to fly directly to Houston and what happened? Some wiseguy in Austin got their attention and they expect 4MM people to flock into tiny Austin so that they can get business.

We need cheap direct flights to Mexico from Houston. Houston is the only large metropolitan city in the US that lacks small airlines flying international. Man, I hate continental.

I have been emailing back and forth with the people in Ellington Field for sometime and I asked them if Vivaaerobus has aproached them recently and they responded no. I was surprised because that is the only airport that is available for new business in terms of starting it with building a new terminal from scratch. City of Houston should do something and have Vivaaerobus start flying to Houston directly from Mexico. Otherwise we will keep paying too much to Continental. What a huge loss for Hostonians...

Man, I am so mad...
This is no way to start out as a new member of a forum. First of all, Austin's metro area is well over 1 million, and second, it's not our fault that Houston was unable to take advantage of this - I guess it can't be the business leader in everything. The bottom line is that landing fees and operating costs are what really makes the difference, and obviously they shopped Houston first.

For example, Ryanair only flies to Charleroi Airport in Belgium and won't fly into Brussels' main airport. The reason budget airlines go to smaller cities and smaller airports is because of cost.