View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2012, 12:10 AM

The many magnificent parks of the city of New York and it’s metropolitan area

The next spread of photos will cover the large parks, pocket parks, historic sites, squares, plaza’s, circles, esplanades, promenades and gardens around the region. I didn’t want to categorize each set according to the specific region within the met that it belonged to, instead I’ll randomly jump around the area.

When I was photographing New York one of the best perks were days in the park. New York city has many of them and I think you’ll notice we’ve got a pretty top notch park system. I didn’t include beaches in this spread because I’ll get to them later on. I know Central Park is equally as well known as the other icons of Manhattan but I’ll bet there are not many who know about the gardens in The Bronx.
When people hear Bronx they probably think tenements, ball parks, co-op’s, bombed out hoods, a concrete jungle….they’d never think about Hudson river gardens, zebra’s, giraffe’s…conservatory gardens…etc., etc., .They’re probably aren’t many who know Brooklyn has a park as large as Central Park and designed by Frederick Law Olmstead and Calvert Vaux (the same architects of Central Park). I doubt many know about Staten Island’s best kept secret in Snug Harbor or know much about Flushing Park aside for the large odd towers from the world’s fair…and New Jersey has terrific parks as well, most offering what is arguably the best view of the city. Westchester has Rye Playland and picturesque rolling parks over-looking the Hudson River and high cliff’s of the Palisades. Nassau has it’s own Central Park in the middle of the county (Eisenhower) and the Sagamore Hill historic site..There’s an old fort under the Verrazano bridge at the northern tip of Staten Island and even a park built around an old Dam in Valhalla…this is going to be a big one, with a lot of photos and they will not depict crowded streets of shadows underneath skyscrapers…so if you’re looking for that you’ll have to wait for the next spread but this should be a pretty eye-opening exhibit of the lush, green parks you CAN find in the beast that is New York.

The Bronx Zoo

Riverside Park, Upper West Side of Manhattan

Mathiessen Park, Irvington..Westchester county

Bayonne and Rutkowski parks, Bayonne, NJ