View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 6:50 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Regarding the Strip, I also thought this neighborhood could use something taller. After a fairly recent trip to the Steel City to visit family which also included a day trip down Penn Avenue and Smallman Street, I began to change my mind. What I would like to see is the Public Market eventually take over the entire Produce Terminal. That whole building would become a huge tourist attraction just like its surrounding neighborhood. I really do not want Bunchar to remove sections of it to reconnect vehicular traffic with the river.

That part of town never had anything taller than 4 or 5 stories, so I don't think a development of 12-plus floors would be the best thing for that neighborhood. I thought it would be kinda cool to have a few floors of loft apartments above the Produce Terminal, but I'm starting to rethink that as well. Perhaps if they had 6-to-8-story apartment buildings that were adjacent to the terminal building -- on the side facing the river but structurally connected to it, I think that would be neat. I'd like to see its roof converted into some kind of green/open space.