View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 4:21 PM

historic site?

Hello Irena,
I understand your desire and passion to save historic sites but I disagree with your perspective.
I live in the area of the synagogue and the site is in terrible condition. There is a large homeless problem in the area and the location is a constant location for garbage, drunkeness and public urination. I understand the building has not been used since 1986. I believe that the neighborhood would be better served as homes or apartments for the many young people willing to relocate downtown, to help give the city life and energy. A decrepid tired old cinder block building with garbage, crime and homelessness is not reflective of the city, area and downtown and I believe a building with apartments, shops and new life would be better served for all residents, not just historians. Just my opinion but the neighborhood needs to catch up to the rest of the city.

When I searched the owners and their history I did see that they had saved the two historic schools (1912) at the arriva tower and as well they had put the group together to buy the Calgary Opera building. Seems like the owners have a reputation for actually saving and preserving relevant historical structures.

If the building holds some value, can you get a group together to buy the site, and in turn clean it up and make it a museum? Thanks for your effort.