View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 9:19 PM
Me?!?

ePlanningPhila, I agree with some of what you said but not all and I will comment on those parts. I appreciate your mindset and enthusiasm, though, and the area needs more people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePlanningPhila View Post
Harrisburg is unique, because it is a well planned city, and has a strong CBD/urban neighborhoods, that truly make the city feel 2 - 3 times the size, but without the hassles of living in a larger city. As the more expensive cities continue to price people out. Harrisburg is going to have its shining moment. I guarantee it.
I disagree. The traffic in the area is atrocious, crime is bad, etc., so it has all of the hassles of a bigger city without any of the perks.

Quote:
I have good friends from Philadelphia who made an overnight trip to Harrisburg over the summer, and they were blown away. They loved it, and while they are still young (late 20s) and live in Philadelphia, they told me they definitely want to go back and explore more, as it offers many urban amenities at a far more affordable price. And for settling down to them its very attractive. Philadelphia is still affordable, but those first time home buyer properties are starting to get pretty far out from the urban core, as real estate here as increased dramatically in the past 5 years. When you can buy a home for $150,000 less, and still live in an attractive place, the attractiveness of Harrisburg increases dramatically.
Complete opposite experience of anyone I have ever taken to Harrisburg and shown around but of course this is subjective and relative and I am glad that they liked it as much as they did.

The mindset in the area needs to change big time for it to become something big but hopefully we are seeing that now. I am still pretty plugged in there and year after year it's been the same old same old. I hope that in a decade+ there may be some good things but what annoys me about that is that it has already been decades and we are all still playing the "some day, some day!" game.