View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 8:27 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybetoday View Post
Perhaps it's time I buy a bike. Forgoing a few months of Fastpasses would pay for a decent used bike. If only I had the space to store a bike.
For $400, you can buy a brand new commuter bike, helmet and lights that will likely last you five years, minimum. Used bikes are even cheaper. Maintenance is fairly cheap--$15 to have someone replace a flat tube (at Box Dog), $50 for a new chain--and rare. Most months I spend absolutely nothing on my ride. My bike is now 2 years old and reliably gets me where I'm going, fast, whenever I need to get there. On the other hand, $400 will get you a piddling six months of Muni-only FastPasses, or worse, five sad months of the in-town BART+Muni pass. Reliability and speed are, of course, sold separately.

People at the MTA meeting are tweeting that it's very crowded and noisy. I hope they seize the fucking room.