View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 10:38 PM
Starring as himself

I scanned a few more photos this afternoon:

Here's my Dominion Bank picture, shortly after completion (1900 or 1901):

Looking down McDermot from the first Bank of Hamilton building. This might be a year after the first photo (probably 1902), since the Lake of the Woods building has now replaced the first wooden structure [correction: it is in the space between the white structure and the bank; the white building is still there, soon to be replaced by the Criterion Hotel (1903)]:

Another view, north on Main:

Meanwhile, up at the old CPR station on Higgins:

Broadway, showing the Broadway Court apartment block under construction where the Cambrian Credit Union now stands. I labelled this one since we don't often see this sort of angle:

What the residential area in the background looked like around 1901. This is what Dalnavert is a remnant of. Most of these houses could be in my neighbourhood in Toronto. They would have appealed to the wealthier emigrants from Ontario for that reason:

This is a family photo, showing my great grandfather and my great aunt about 1906 or 1907 at their house at 290 Wardlaw (or Wardlow, as it then was). This is part of a neighbourhood that was demolished when the Midtown Bridge was built and Donald Street extended south through Fort Rouge. The house would have been around what was once the intersection of Wardlaw and Clarke, backing onto the CNR mainline by the river:

Last edited by Andy6; Jan 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM.