View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Portage Place's parkade must be a goldmine given that it's the de facto parkade for many of the employees in the following office buildings:

-Air Canada Building
-Manitoba Hydro
-Manitoba Health
-Investors Group (well, the non-executive staff at least)
-Portage Place level 3 and 4 offices

Evenings are busy with lots of Jets and Moose traffic.

With all of the people working around there, I'm actually somewhat surprised that you can still easily get a casual parking spot pretty well any day.
Believe it makes in the neighbourhood of $5-6m a year. It might even be in their financials online somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Maybe the forks could be self sufficient if they gave up the PP parkade but started charging
at the parkade at the forks. I know it's much small and would command much less money but would probably bring in a bit more revenue... maybe enough to be self sufficient?
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ They do charge for parking at The Forks parkade now. I don't think there is much if any free parking at all left at The Forks.

In fact, parking is starting to become a little scarce at The Forks on busier days. Hopefully they'll get cracking on the railside developments too since that will include some parking IIRC. (What's happening on that front anyway? When will work get started on those?)
Yeah they started last year. A few (old) people freaked out and said they'd never come back – good riddance. In talking to the staff there though, they said they were actually shocked how little pushback there was, and that many people (especially younger) supported it, knowing that the money goes right back into The Forks for improvements, and not just to the city coffers.

To me that speaks volumes to the great work their doing, because in the past even the slightest change had the whole city up in arms. People see the vision now, and they get it.

In terms of future parking, I think we're 5 years out from any major parking additions, minimum. Medium-long term there are plans for a parkade on Main north of Union Station, one adjacent to the existing one by Festival Field, and way down the road if needed by Citytv. Other than that, doesn't seem like there's a plan to add more parking other than a small amount dedicated to residents. They are planning on either working with a car co-op or creating their own for residents at Railside.