View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 10:58 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
It would be nice to use the gardens more effectively. You can imagine many winter uses. If we ever get cold winters again, maybe you could skate on the pond (don't know how it freezes since I've never been in there in the winter). You could do tree lighting around Christmas. Challenge the business and institutional community to decorate them to keep HRM's cost low and then let them compete for the best display. I would think walking through a decorated gardens would be a good fit for its formal setting.
It's a real shame that we have this asset and the city is able to blindside the public into believing that "great harm" would come to the gardens if it were to be opened in the winter. It's 100% bullshit. It is all about cost, but to me this is where you allocate your budget. Make sure the park is top notch at all times. Just because it is locked up doesn't mean people can't enjoy it to a much lesser degree while walking by or peering through the fence. This park is a disgrace it should be open to the public all year. The bandstand would be a great venue at Christmas and the park being closed is an unnecessary hinderance by a backward thinking administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
FYI. In your photo, the toppled statue was the work of scumbags. It was 125 years old and vandals tipped it over one night a few weeks back for no reason at all. Real assholes. Can't really blame HRM for that one. Some people just have no sense.
This is correct. I guess my point is the HRM is so oblivious to the real importance of the gardens that they have not addressed the statue issue. I don't need to call them and ask for an explanation because I can hear their lame duck reasoning now......."well we wouldn't want to move it until the frost is out of the ground and geese have returned and the grounds keeper has returned from his mission of painting park benches for Point Pleasant Park" etc. etc.......sad, very sad

Last edited by Empire; Apr 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM.