View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 4:31 PM
Bungalow-life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
You missed the humor I was attempting to poke at the thread starter.

But I guess I understand your post, considering your city jumped from #9 to #3 with the stated opinion.

Well, frankly, I was baffled as to the intended purpose of the thread as stated and the precision of its suggested methodology.

But, yeah... I didn't exactly mind seeing Tampa's status climb.

Truthfully, though I couldn't let Jacksonville get by as #1 without knocking it down a peg... Sure, Jax has the highest city population, but its population density ranks 52nd among the 60 largest southeastern cities, and dead last among the 19 Florida cities on that list.

Don't get me wrong...I think Jacksonville is a beautiful city in a great setting. I just find that appropriate context is missing when its data is compared to other cities. Jacksonville's municipal boundaries encompass a whopping 767 sq. miles of land, or nearly the entirety of Duval County. That figure is greater than the next ten largest Florida cities combined, which average a geographic size of only 65 sq. miles. in comparison.

If Florida's other cities extended their boundaries county-wide in a similar manner, Jacksonville's top spot in the state's population rankings would drop to #7.