View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2011, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I'm back in Calgary for a few weeks before I head off to Vancouver. There's still something about the Bow that bugs me. Something just seems overly... blunt and monolithic about it, I feel like chimps should be beating each other to death with bones at the foot of it or something. Very clearly a Foster project but it really lacks the grace of form I've encountered in their London works. At least it isn't as ugly/a financial quagmire like that pedestrian bridge they're trying to build out in the west end of downtown.

As for the Skye project, it seems more like an incitement to provoke more than any kind of actual proposal. The renderings are super-preliminary but they don't look like anything that would ever reasonably be built in Halifax, even if their heights were in line with HbD
One of my planner colleagues said that he doesn't like it either because when viewed from a far distance on the landscape - it is one big rectangle building. He thinks that is where they fell down on the design.

Yes, when you are near it, you can see the bend of the shape like this: ( but far away you can't. I think that's what you mean and I agree.
But I'm more comforted by the view I get from my balcony; so I won't complain.