View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 1:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Macklowe is a boss!!!
God bless Macklowe, and shame on his ex-wife for giving him so much grief. She could have ruined this for us all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
"The tower, which would rise midblock between East 51st and East 52nd streets..." Will there an objection from the planning committees and a reduction in height because it was mid-block? I recall that one of the objections for the height of the Tower Verre was that it was mid-block. When the Tower Verre was going through the city approval process, I wrote the city alderman to support the original 1250 tower and he replied that he did not support it because it was mid-block.
That was more nonsense, and Burden's gone. The City's been pushing for more office space, and one of the most vocal opponents against these tall towers already seems in favor of it. I'm not sure what ULURP this needs to go through. There are no height limits there, so if it's just for the transfer of development rights, (and also the cantilver) that's not really a full ULURP approval. There most be some element of the design that falls outside of standard zoning, much like Tower Verre's unique design did. For example, they could need a special permit to overide setback requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloper View Post
Yes, yes and yes please! And the mass damper as feature is some serious icing. The only other tower I can think of with a tuned mass damper on display is Taipei 101, surely there are others.....
Teaching as it thrills. Imagine how insane this would have been if the 666 5th Ave development had gone through...

Back to the cantilver, it's as some of us have speculated...

Quote:
Macklowe has been telling stakeholders that project would cantilever over the landmarked John Pierce residence on East 51st Street

I've highlighted the cantilver area in blue...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jan 19, 2019 at 1:27 AM.