View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new.slang View Post
i think it will remain red. the people who move there from the north are probably, for the most part, republicans. Democrats from the north probably move to more liberal states like florida, nc, colorado or california.

and i think there's a good chance obama won't win the 2012 election. It depends on who the republicans pick. If its an old man (like mccain) or palin i say highly unlikely. But if its a 50 year old conservative republican theres a good chance (not centre right like mccain)
I have to disagree with your view/ assumption here. Most new residents moving to Texas are just as diverse as the rest of the United States... it's a fare amount of Democrats, Republicans and Independents. If anything, the trend with new residents is away from either party. And yeah, Democrats (and everyone else) moving to Texas has nothing to do with party affiliation... people are moving here in droves because the state is big, cheap and has lots of jobs.

Your argument might hold some weight if you're referring to "superliberals", but again when we're talking about real life job situations, people move where they have to, and take what they can get. Part of the reason that Houston is becoming so liberal is the amount of transient population that we have here is growing, especially inside the loop.

I disagree also with the view that Republicans are proclaiming ever since Scott Brown got elected... "the nation has turned the tide and now agrees with the Republican base". WRONG. Most people just need a government that's going to give them some answers. I think on the whole we still agree with more of the Democratic agenda than we do the Republicans... it's just that when you're mired in a rough economy (especially those without a job right now), you need to turn to whoever has an answer first, and people have grown impatient. The Obama administration also bit off a bit more than it could chew this year, and they need to focus. Once we see some results, the right-wing Tea Partiers won't have a leg to stand on.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist