View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
This is where you're incoherent. Santos is as far from Praça da Sé as Baltimore is from Capitol Hill, yet you include Santos in your definition of the São Paulo metro area, but exclude Baltimore from the Washington DC metro area. Not logical.
I regard Washington and Baltimore as a single multipolar metro area. The only reason I bring they separated in my list is they're historically distinct metro areas, with very distinct economic base and people might want to see separated figures for each one of them. And if someone is interested in the Washington-Baltimore CSA, he can always add them together. Quite easy.

On the other hand, although a traditional city, Santos is 25 times smaller than São Paulo. So there's no reason to keep them separated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Personally I've included Baltimore in the Washington DC metro area, because both urbanized areas practically touch each other, and car commute rates in the US are extremely high. On the other hand, I've not included Santos in the São Paulo metro area, because Santos is neatly separated from the São Paulo urbanized area by a mountain range, and motorization rate in Brazil is much lower than in the US, hence less long-distance commuting.
As I said, to me, Washington-Baltimore = metro area. São Paulo metro area has almost 24 million people (2013) against 9 million from the American one. So it's only natural São Paulo to be bigger.

In any case, my definition of São Paulo metro area is extremely compact (12,500 km²), way smaller than Washington-Baltimore CSA. It includes the official metro area plus the neighbouring regions of Santos (south), Jundiaí and Atibaia (north) and São Roque (west). That's São Paulo de facto metro area and it's actually comparable to the US MSAs, not CSAs. About commute, São Paulo and Santos are linked for two highways with ten lanes each. Motorization rates (cars only) in the area is about to reach 500/1,000 inh.

Today, using the official São Paulo metro area as the definition for the actual metro area is almost as absurd as using Greater London to define London metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Where's Munich? The list is garbage
I couldn't call Bavaria Munich.

Let's wait for the Eurostats for smaller units. Then, I'll redraw some European areas.