View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:53 PM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
It is finished. All of my postings (excepting five) have been restored, as have all of the images....

...There is some bad news to report, though: many of the earlier pages of the thread are in pretty bad shape image-wise. A lot more pictures are missing now than when I archived the thread 6 months ago. Many posts have lost all of their linked images. Not sure what if anything can be done about that. I'm just glad I archived what I did when I did!

-Scott
Scott, thanks SO MUCH for doing the repairs! Returning all that superb content to the thread makes a HUGE difference here. I will certainly go back to re-read all those pages and I'm sure that many, many other readers will enjoy the restored submissions.

Re the other "missing links", I had noticed this too and it's really unfortunate, but I had been giving this some thought and have an idea. if you have the some/most of the missing attachments in your 1-278 archive, those early pages can be repaired in the following way:

1. Someone reviews all the missing images and organizes the project. (I volunteer.)

2. The missing images are re-uploaded to a server or photo site. (I volunteer.)

3. One or two still active forum members who already have posts on the affected pages (this group would basically include e_r, GW, sopas_ej and you, Scott) go back to edit their old posts, adding the missing photos as addendums with brief captions, for example:

Note: on 7-1-2012, I added the attachment below (Temple Block in 1910) to replace the missing image in Winston22's post on this page.

Scott, if you go ahead and send me your 1-278 archive, I can proceed with steps 1 and 2. Then we just need a couple of core members to go back and insert the addendums into their old posts. I can't do that part because I wasn't posting back then, but can forward the details and new image URL's to the right people.

It's a chore, but no worse than what you just went through. Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by 3940dxer; Jun 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM.