View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2007, 4:19 AM

I hate Sacramento.

From the Bee: http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/535261.html

Sac International Airport expansion project challenged by airlines
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published 10:45 am PST Saturday, December 1, 2007

Sacramento International Airport's biggest expansion in its history is months away from beginning, but some its biggest clients are questioning its size and cost.

"We have heartburn at trying to build a facility for $1.3 billion," said Gregory Gillis, an executive with Southwest Airlines. "That's a very high price tag."

American and Alaska airlines officials also expressed similar concerns.

But county airports director Hardy Acree says Sacramento's facility needs a major expansion to keep pace with Northern California growth and that airlines benefitting from the increased ridership must pay their fair share.

"From the beginning, we've taken the approach we (will) build what is needed, and the costs are what they are," Acree said.

The county's financing plan will require airlines to pay slightly less than half of the total expansion cost, Acree said. The remainder of the funding will come from passenger fees, parking revenues and other airport rents and fees.

Under federal rules, airports are allowed to set "reasonable" fees on airlines. The airlines can protest those fees with the federal Department of Transportation, federal officials said.

A few comments:

Quote:
arnoldout at 10:54 AM PST Saturday, December 1, 2007 wrote:

I think

the Sac airport is right hwere it needs to be at this point. Do we need all these little regional airlines and their small turbo-props adding to the confusion already there? This seems to be a question of greed and not growth. All major airlines have cut back on their number of flights to keep their airliners as full as they can and they seem to be doing fine with the scenario that's already there. I love our little airport the way it is and any more traffic and longer lines will send me and my associates to SFO or Oakland. Just my opinion.

Quote:
marvsimmons at 11:21 AM PST Saturday, December 1, 2007 wrote:

Waste of money.

As was the new Terminal A. Most of flights I take are through Terminal B. I really enjoy the efficient way the old terminal is laid out. I can get in quickly, get to my gate quickly, and get out quickly. Too much junk in Terminal A. If I want a food court and stores, I'll go to the mall, not an airport.

Quote:
olimac at 4:29 PM PST Saturday, December 1, 2007 wrote:

Govt at it's best, arguing with it's customers

Southwest Airline, American Airline, Alaska Airline and others all object to the new plan. Golly what do they know about what a airport needs to look like and what accomidations are needed, they are only the ones that are paying the majorty for it!

We need to have a efficent cost effective airport. I agree that we don't need a mega mall next to a landing strip. Over a BILLION DOLLARS??????

Put up some giant metal low tech wherehouse buildings that will work. As long as I catch my flight and my luggage makes it, you have a happy customer here!

I REALLY hate Sacramento.