View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 9:40 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
This video embodies much of what this thread is about; so, perfect -

The video is at first glance a somewhat child-like oversimplification, but is produced in such a way that the intended audience will find accessible. It's also not so much just about climate change as about all that's wrong with suburban sprawl. Beyond the cartooned and Sim City-like graphics are many well thought out principles which most forummers here normally embrace as blatantly obvious, but average people aren't aware of or don't care about. If nothing more than a reminder of the indisputable status quo, it's also gratifiably entertaining.
From 0:58 to 1:08 it looks like St. Thomas in cartoon form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
I'm about to start the process of looking for my first place to live and until someone shows me a condo or townhouse that is affordable and has sound insulation that is good enough to allow me to host a large party or play music really loud, I will only be looking at small single family houses.

Call me greedy, I don't care. I'm paying for it and will continue to pay for it if utility costs rise and I'm not going to be limited by what my neighbors think is acceptable behavior.

Plus with some of the condo fees I've seen out there, an increase of those would probably hurt just as bad.
The thing is, your right to produce noise is also governed when you own a single-family dwelling. Municipal bylaws generally dictate that if the neighbours can hear your party and/or your dubstep after 12:00 midnight, you are obligated to turn it down to an acceptable level. And believe me, having grown up in a North York suburb, sound carries surprisingly well even when your houses are all completely separated, so you cannot escape that obligation. If you want to take an "I don't care, I do what I want" approach, then a large piece of rural acreage would be more suitable.

I'm also going to re-iterate what CCF said, and that is a lot of detached property owners I are really not paying the full cost of their lifestyle. I'm not going to be some pinko and suggest that we should completely outlaw low-density development, but am going to be an economist and argue that costs need to be internalized through higher property tax rates. In all likelihood, the additional taxes levied against your property to cover the (substantially) more expensive infrastructure would probably outpace any dreaded condo fees.

Last edited by Wharn; Mar 27, 2012 at 9:55 PM.